Over 65 YEARS OF ALLURING ATTIRE
The late Bertel Herz opened the first Trousseau ten years after immigrating to America from Germany in 1939. Her family had owned retail stores in Germany and, as the oldest of seven children, she was involved in running the business. After settling in Memphis, she saw a need for a store that would specialize in items that young women could put in their trousseaux – from fine linens to exquisite lingerie. Brides would come to her to select everything they would need to set up their new homes. For nearly half a century, the Trousseau Shop was located on Union Avenue, and its merchandise even expanded to include ladies’ ready-to-wear. But after Herz retired, her daughter, Eden Friedman, took over and began the trend of offering merchandise to younger women. Although their long-time customers continued to visit the midtown store, their younger customers were moving to East Memphis. Eden and her daughters, Amy and Pesha, decided to open a second store, dedicated to only lingerie, in East Memphis where they found a niche offering a merchandise mix that attracted younger women but continued to cater to their long-time customers. Today, Trousseau still fills that niche in the Mid-South by being Memphis’ finest intimate apparel boutique; ladies come from Arkansas, Mississippi, and all over Memphis because they know they’ll find the amazing customer service they want and the quality they expect.